Thursday, 14 May 2009
Community outreach service for
EASTERN EUROPEAN WOMEN
experiencing domestic violence
Who are we?
Refuge is the largest single specialist service provider of domestic violence services in the country. We provide
safe, emergency accommodation and emotional and practical support to women and children experiencing
domestic violence. Refuge also provides services for children, individual and group counselling and community
based outreach services for women. It also has a growing team of independent domestic violence advocates
and runs the Freephone 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline in partnership with Women’s Aid.
Domestic Violence in the UK
• One woman in four will experience domestic violence at some point in her life
• An incident of domestic violence occurs every six to 20 seconds in the UK
• Domestic violence has the highest rate of repeat victimisation of any crime
• Two women are killed by a current or former partner every week in England and Wales
Do you need Refuge’s support?
• Are you afraid of your partner or another member of your family?
This could be a brother, sister, father, uncle, mother-in-law or an extended member of your family
• Do you feel isolated?
• Is your partner controlling, jealous or possessive? Does he question your movements?
• Does your partner make it hard for you to leave the house or see your family and friends?
• Does your partner control your money?
• Does your partner humiliate you or abuse you verbally?
• Has your partner ever threatened you or scared you by using violent language, smashing the furniture or
threatening your children, family or friends?
Remember you are not alone. Many women from your community experience what you are going through and we understand the importance of confidentiality and providing you with the support you need and deserve
Don’t suffer in silence
Refuge’s team of multi-lingual community staff will listen in confidence and offer practical and emotional support to
women from Eastern European communities who are experiencing violence from a partner, ex-partner or a family member.
The Refuge community outreach service can offer you:
• Risk assessment and safety planning for you and your children
• Confidential one-to-one support based on your needs
• Building self-confidence and independence
• Advice on immigration, housing and welfare benefits rights
• information about legal options and how to access help
• Help in finding work or getting the right training
• Referrals to other community groups, such as playgroups, nurseries and counselling services
• Domestic violence is a crime
• Abuse is likely to become more serious and happen more often over time
• No woman is responsible for a man’s behaviour
• You are not to blame and you are not alone – one woman in four, like you, experiences domestic violence
• Reach out and get help
Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
(run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge)
Registered Charity No 277424
Call the Refuge team for support on:
02084537190 or 02084537173
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org